Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Inexpensive curriculum

For those of you looking for an inexpensive basic curriculum for preschool through grade 6, check out American Educational Publishing’s Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills workbooks. These books cover the basics in math, reading and writing by grade level. Each book sells for just under $20. For the price, these books offer a good foundation for your child’s studies. You will likely need supplementary material, however, because when I say "basic," I mean it. For example, I don’t believe one practice sheet of problems is sufficient to reinforce a math concept in most cases. And children should be encouraged to read entire books in addition to the reading selections in the workbook. If I were homeschooling children in the elementary grade levels, I would definitely use this series as a launching pad.